Latest Team Rankings
Free Rivals Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
February 5, 2013
Coach Hawn's Chigger Bites a Winner!
SEYMOUR, Ind. -- Career Indiana high school coach, Ron Hawn has penned an all-together entertaining book focused on the culture of high school basketball, and how that culture connects nearly every life in small town Indiana communities.
There are few books I review that I enjoy as much as this. Coach Hawn takes the reader on a whirlwind tour of fictitious West Lake, Indiana. The tales that spin involve coaches, players, families, referees, and fans and are easily appreciated by anyone that has been around our sport. Chigger Bites is a quick read and characters portrayed will no doubt have a familiar feel to them.
This was my first experience downloading and reading a book on my iPhone, but the process was painless, and one that was so easy that I plan to make a practice of it. Plus, you can't beat the price. Free app and the book cost a whole $1.
If you want to know just about anything about West Lake, Indiana, all you need to do is walk into the Bacon-N-Egg Cafe on any Saturday morning. In a side room, seated around a table specially reserved for them, you will find Chigger's Huddle, a group of eight local men who can give you an answer, true or not, to any question you may have.
Headed up by legendary West Lake High basketball coach, Chigger Fields, the Huddle consists of a barber who makes book on the side, a bar owner who trains dogs to coon hunt, a preacher, the owner of the Bacon-N-Egg (when he's not preparing a skilletful of his famous fried taters), the town marshal, a sporting goods salesman, and Chigger's son-in-law, Grady.
In this book, Grady has recounted a few of the down-home stories told in the Huddle, giving us a look into life in a typical small town, which in Indiana means Basketball, Church, and Family.
1) Go to Amazon.com
2) In the Search box, type Chigger Bites. Click Go.
3) Among the anti-itch creams, you will find the book. Click on it to go to the description page.
4) If you own a Kindle, I assume that you know how to purchase the book.
5) If you don't own a Kindle, you can still buy it and read it on your PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone etc.
6) On the right side of the description page, you will see an ad with a link to Free Kindle Reading Apps. Click on the link and follow the directions for downloading the free app for the device that you want to read the book on.
7) I skipped step six and just went to App Store on iPhone and downloaded free Kindle App.